Makes 16 cupcakes
For the Cake
250g plain flour
3tsp baking powder
250ml soya milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 tsp vanilla essence
For the icing
100g vegan margarine
150g icing sugar
1 handful of raspberries
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Pour the soya milk into a jug and add the cider vinegar, set aside to curdle
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl
- Add the sugar and mix well
- Put 16 cupcake cases in a muffin tray
- Pour the jug of milk/cider vinegar, the oil and vanilla essence into the flour and mix well until incorporated. Don’t overmix.
- Divide the mixture equally between the cupcake cases (they should be 3/4 full as they will rise)
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes (the cupcakes will be ready when a toothpick comes out clean or when it springs back when touched)
- Take the cupcakes out of the tray and leave to cool for 30/40 minutes on a cooling rack before icing
For the icing
- In a blender, put the vegan margarine, icing sugar and a handful of raspberry (or you could use another berry) and blend until you have a thick paste
- Put the icing on the cupcakes, then eat and enjoy!
A few days ago I had an engagement party which I used as an excuse to try out new recipes on willing guinea pigs. Also I wanted a party.
Here are a few pictures of the yummy food I made (along with the help of my brilliant housemates):
Apple crumble cake
Obviously the food was all vegan, and all yummy! I also made a loaf of white bread with thyme and lots and lots of falafel, recipes to follow soon, so keep an eye out for them!
The food (especially the cakes) disappeared almost as quickly as the wine…..
This cake tastes brilliant fresh out of the oven, but even better if you leave it to cool down, so if you can control the urge to scoff it down, do so! I took my cake out of the oven a little bit too early (after 35 minutes), so I recommend that you leave it in for a little longer, which should be fine as it’s set on a fairly low temperature. Let me know how it went by commenting below 🙂
125g/4oz vegan margarine
150g/5oz caster sugar (or granulated sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp oil
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
190g/6oz plain flour
1tsp baking powder
60ml/2 fl oz soya (or other non-dairy) milk
- Preheat the oven at 150 C fan oven (or 170 C regular, Gas mark 3)
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Melt vegan margarine, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add the mashed bananas, mix well.
- Add the oil, mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and the milk.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until it browns and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool and enjoy!
Vegan Banana muffins