The bake sale was completely vegan, organised by Alex from In Vegetables We Trust, and was raising money for Hillside Animal Sanctuary. It was a brilliant success and we’ll hopefully be doing another one soon.
Yesterday was the first time that people other than my housemates tried my baking, I’m happy to report that it was a success and all of the goodies I had bought along had completely sold out by the end!
Here’s some pictures of what you missed (sorry):
We made our chocolate brownies (recipe here), chocolate chip cookies (recipe here) and lemon biscuits (recipe here).
Somebody came up to me afterwards to say how good the lemon biscuits were (woo).
Hopefully we’ll be doing some more in the future, so get down to Norwich if you want to try some of our yummy baked goods!
These fudgy, chewy, chocolatey delicious brownies taste better when they have been left to stand over night. This is because the icing forms a glaze, but if you can’t wait that long to try them, they’re still very good fresh out of the oven!
Ready in 45 minutes
For the brownies
- 250g/9oz plain flour
- 350g/12oz demerara sugar
- 65g/2oz plain cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 300ml/10.5 fl oz water
- 200ml/7 fl oz vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 100g/3.5oz sugar
- 60g/2oz vegan margarine
- 2 Tablespoons soy milk
- 30g/1oz cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread evenly in a baking tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. After 15/20 minutes make the icing (you need to judge when you do this quite well as you can’t make the icing to early or it will solidify and you won’t be able to put it on the brownie).
For the icing:
- In a small saucepan bring the sugar, margarine, soy milk and cocoa powder to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Simmer for 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Drizzle on the brownie (do this as quickly as possible, the icing will be liquid so be prepared for it to run)