I had some old bananas that were going bad and needed something to do with them, and I thought about banana muffins. They’re really good for lunch boxes, so it was perfect as I was going out for the day. They’re delicious when warm and equally good cold. They’re quite dense because there’s so much banana in them, but that adds to the yummyness. This is quite a small recipe, only makes 9, so I’d perhaps advise that you doubled the recipe if you’ve got the bananas for it!
150g/5oz plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
3 bananas, mashed
100g/3.5oz caster sugar
75g/3oz vegan margarine
- Preheat the oven to 180c/Gas 4.
- Place 9 paper muffin cases in a muffin tin
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork and add the margarine, combine well
- Add the sugar and mix
- Fold in the flour mixture and mix until smooth
- Spoon evenly into (9) cases in a muffin tin
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes
Vegan banana cake
You will need a blender for this recipe.
I love milkshakes. I miss milkshakes. I thought I would have to give them up. I don’t, thanks to the lovely people at Swedish Glace who make awesome vegan vanilla ice cream. Unfortunately, I am not currently getting paid to praise their product (although I’m willing to whore out this blog for some free ice cream people), but this ice cream truly is a great replacement product, almost certainly better than it non-vegan counterparts. Just don’t try their raspberry flavored one, it’s not good, it’s not good at all (tastes like medicine, and not like the good calpol stuff). Anyway, the point is I have a recipe for vegan banana milkshakes! Exciting, isn’t it?
1 large/ripe banana
100ml rice milk (or other non-dairy milk, I have tried it with soya milk, it’s not quite as good)
2 (heaped) tbsp vegan vanilla ice cream (I used Swedish Glace Vanilla ice cream)
Cocoa powder for sprinkling on top (if you feel like it)
- Peel and chop the banana and put it in the blender, blend it until pulverized
- Add the soya milk and blend until mixed together well
- Then add the ice cream, blend until it is liquid
- Pour into a cup, if you want it extra cool, put it in the fridge for 5 minutes, otherwise, sprinkle with cocoa and serve
If you would like a chocolate/banana milkshake, add extra cocoa powder to the mix at the same time as the soya milk (1 heaped tbsp)