A really popular treat in Denmark, which you can find in every bakery. It’s very simple and yummy. It tastes like shortbread with raspberry jam and icing. This recipe was kindly supplied by my wonderful Danish friend who tells me that I should make the dough thinner next time (although she did very much approve when she tried a slice).
Makes approximately 14 slices
600g plain flour
400g vegan margarine
180g icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
400g raspberry jam (I used Bonne Maman which is delicious)
150g icing sugar to glaze
sprinkles (hundreds and thousands)
- Mix the flour, icing sugar, vanilla essence and margarine thoroughly with your hands until soft.
- Put it in the refrigerator and wait 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Split the dough into two and roll out (to maybe ½ cm) onto two large pieces of baking paper.
- Prick with a fork the rolled out dough with a fork.
- Bake at 190 degrees (for about 5-10 minutes) until golden around the edges (only around the edges, don’t bake for too long). Let them cool.
- Spread raspberry jam on one slice (make sure you put plenty on) and put the other gently on top.
- Make some fairly thick icing and spread it on top, then add the sprinkles/hundreds and thousands on top (I used sugar stars as I did not have sprinkles)
- Cut it into smaller slices (rectangle shape)
- Eat and enjoy!