Yesterday I wanted to make a lemon drizzle cake, but I couldn’t find my soya milk (I’m sure I had some….) so I couldn’t do it. It was incredibly sad as that is by far my favourite cake, so instead I decided to experiment with making some sort of lemony dessert. I’m not sure what exactly these are, they are sort of half biscuits, half cake, but really good. Don’t eat them without the icing unless you add extra sugar to the mix (maybe 50g) because they’ll just taste like lemon bread and it’s not great. The icing makes them amazing and the texture of them is brilliant. Maybe I’ll call them biscuit buns, anybody got any good ideas on what to name them? Anyway, this is definitely one of my favourite recipes on this site, so do give them a go! Makes about 9 biscuit-cakes.
For the cake/biscuit
250g/9oz vegan margarine
300g/11oz plain flour (and extra for rolling)
1 lemon, zest and juice (organic preferably as you’ll be using the zest)
1 tsp baking powder
For the icing
150g/5oz g icing sugar
1 lemon, juice and zest (organic preferably as you’ll be using the zest
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Grease/line two baking trays
- Beat together margarine and sugar until they are light and fluffy
- Grate the lemon zest
- Add the lemon juice and zest and mix together
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, mix well
- Put plenty of flour on a surface, take the dough and kneed it on a surface for 2 minutes until it is less sticky
- Take a handful of dough, roll into a ball, flatten into a round cookie shape and place on the baking tray, repeat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Place them on a wire rack to cool
- Take the other lemon and grate the lemon zest (optional mostly because it just looks nice) and set aside
- Make the icing: put the icing sugar in a bowl and add enough of the lemon juice to make a very thick icing
- When the biscuits are cool, spread icing on biscuits evenly (make sure there is quite a thick coating of icing on the biscuits because the biscuits themselves are not very sweet)
- Sprinkle the lemon zest on top of the icing (optional)
- Eat and enjoy!