350g/12oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
125g/4½oz vegan margarine
175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
4 tbsp oil
5 tbsp golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon and pour into a bowl (0r a food processor).
- Add the butter and mix (with a wooden spoon and hands, or a blender) until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Mix the oil and golden syrup together, add to the bowl (or food processor) and mix until the mixture clumps together.
- Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two/three baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men (or sheep) shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations. Then enjoy!
Several times when we were making these we thought the dough might just fall apart, but keep going, it works in the end.